Added in 2005 at the request of photographers, the ACP 2012 Portfolio Review and Walk offers artists the opportunity to meet with highly respected curators, dealers, editors, and agency representatives from across the United States and beyond. The Portfolio Walk (following the review sessions) gives participating photographers the opportunity to present their work to the general public at an evening reception, open to all.
Sponsored in part by Turner Broadcasting and their “Turner Voices” initiative, 17 reviewers and 51 artists will meet on Saturday, October 13th, 2012. Each photographer will meet privately with at least five reviewers for twenty minutes each.
Every year we have many more applicants than available slots, so each application will be evaluated by ACP and a third-party judge to determine if the applicant may participate in the Reviews (it is FREE to apply). Register for the ACP 2012 Portfolio Review today! The cost of the review is only $300, and registration closes July 20th.
Yes, there are other portfolio review events around. Why should you consider ACP’s event as a must-do?
- Our event is only one day. It is a long, intense day, but you do not have to take a week out of your life or empty your checking account to have a career-changing moment.
- There will be special events leading up to the reviews (a lecture by Brian Ulrich and a party for reviewers and photographers).
- The day of the reviews, there will be free coffee, food and beverages available to photographers all day long! Really.
- In addition to your regular review sessions, there will be two roving VIPs on-site who will meet with each photographer (an Atlanta-based art consultant and an associate editor for CNN’s photo blog)!
- The ACP Portfolio Review really works. Check out the feedback from past participants!
“As a direct result of participating in the portfolio review, I have since had my first solo show in Atlanta! I was also able to make professional connections with galleries and other artists that continue to open doors for my work.” – J.C. a 2011 ACP Portfolio Review participant
“I sold six prints at the ACP Portfolio Walk…and became a better presenter of my work”
– J.R. a 2011 ACP Portfolio Review participant
“I was in the ACP Portfolio Review and thanks to that I am now in a ‘Landscape’ group exhibition in Inner Mongolia, China.”
– W.S., a 2010 ACP Portfolio Review participant
“The portfolio event is a really great resource! I am going to be part of Fraction magazine’s December edition because of my meeting with David. I also met with the Blue Sky folks and they seemed very interested in my work.”
- J.R., a 2010 ACP Portfolio Review participant
“I thought you might be interested in seeing this online auction — my piece is included as a result of meeting Dan at ACP this year…”
– L.N., a 2009 ACP Portfolio Review participant
“As a very direct result of the 2008 portfolio review, I have a portfolio published in the current issue of Lenswork Extended…thanks so much to ACP’s Portfolio Review!!”
– T.H., a 2008 ACP Portfolio Review Participant
Through a juried review of all the applicants, 51 photographers will be selected to participate, and there will be a distinguished panel of 17 reviewers. As of June 19th, these are the confirmed reviewers.
Brett Abbott – Curator of Photographs, High Museum of Art, Atlanta, GA
Elisabeth Biondi – Independent Photo Editor, Curator, New York, NY
Bill Boling – Publisher, Fall Line Press, Atlanta, GA
Brie Castell – Owner, Castell Photography Gallery, Ashville, NC
Arnika Dawkins – Owner, Arnika Dawkins Gallery, Atlanta, GA
Jason Francisco – Photographer, Assoc. Professor of Photography, Emory Univ. Atlanta, GA
Lisa Kurzner – Independent Curator, Cleveland, OH
Jason Landry – Owner, Panopticon Gallery, Boston, MA
Wally Mason – Director, Haggerty Museum of Art, Milwaukee, WI
Brenda Massie – Director, Hagedorn Foundation Gallery, Atlanta, GA
Kirsten Rian – Independent Curator, Portland, OR
Bill Schwab – Publisher, North Light Press, Detroit, MI
Jennifer Schwartz – Owner, Jennifer Schwartz Gallery, Atlanta, GA
Anna Skillman – Owner, Jackson Fine Art, Atlanta, GA
Gordon Stettinius – Owner, Candela Books + Gallery. Richmond, VA
Brian Ulrich – Photographer, Asst. Professor of Photography, Virginia Commonwealth Univ. Richmond, VA
Roving VIPs (on-site the day of the reviews, and additional opportunity to get exposure for your work)
Matthew Rond – Photo Editor, Image Management, Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. and contributing editor for CNN Photos blog
Mary Stanley – Owner, Mary Stanley Studio, founder Young Collectors Club